I love to write!
And I love meeting others who share my passion for words. Last month, I was privileged to be part of an event hosted by His Story Christian Gift Center in Lewiston, Idaho. We had a lot of fun meeting and working with aspiring writers. As part of this day, we handed out a worksheet to those who wanted to write but didn’t know how to get started. Today, I’m sharing this worksheet with you. Whether you’re a person who likes to carefully plan your writing projects or like to write without a net, it helps to get to know yourself a little bit better. It took me years to discover what my focus is and what motivates me to write. Here’s the first segment of the worksheet:
You’ve felt for some time that you have a story in you. It could be a novel that’s been shuffling around in your mind for years. Or you have an incredible life story that you long to share with others. Perhaps you yearn to write for children or parents or youth. You know God is urging you to step out in faith and put the dream to paper.
The journey to publication, whether through independent or traditional channels, is an arduous one. Although it’s not for the faint of heart, it’s within your reach. It takes a lot of discipline, hard work, and willingness to learn. So where do you begin?
It’s best to write down a few things to help you solidify your goals. These next questions will help you put into words what’s brewing in your heart. Take your time, think them through, and commit them to prayer.
1. What genre are you interested in pursuing (non-fiction, fiction, fantasy, young adult fiction, devotional, children’s books, etc.)?
2. Why did you choose it?
3. Who are your favorite authors, and why?
4. What Scripture(s) best describe your walk with God?
5. Describe your life’s calling in one sentence.
6. What gifts and talents do you think God has placed in you that qualify you to speak to others?
7. If others could describe you in one word, what might that word be?
8. Do you have the support of your family to take on writing?
9. What is your educational background?
10. What do you hope to accomplish through writing?
Fill this out and keep it. Pull it out occasionally and see where God has taken you in your journey. Next week, I’ll post the second half: Now What?